Write a five-page examination of the role of the frontier in American life.
This assessment allows you to show your understanding of a key concept in American culture.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 2: Discuss the role of frontier in American culture.
. Discuss the concept of manifest destiny.
. Describe the role that the frontier played in U.S. cultures.
. Examine the concept of the pioneer spirit in U.S. culture from the past to present.
. Describe the importance of oil both at home and abroad in American politics.
. Discuss the future of the frontier spirit.
· Competency 6: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
In the nineteenth century, historian Frederick Jackson Turner theorized that the idea of a boundless frontier was at the center of distinctly American culture and character. The assessment 2 context document provides a brief overview of Turner’s thesis. Take time to review this document for important concepts and ideas.
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
· Was the Civil War actually an inevitable consequence of the two decades that preceded it?
· Would America have survived as a nation if the South had won the Civil War? Was this really a case of an industrial North swallowing an agrarian South?
Examine the role of the frontier in the shaping of America in a five-page paper. Address the following in your examination:
· Discuss the concept of manifest destiny and Americans as a people on the move.
· What role has the frontier played in U.S. culture?
· Examine the concept of the pioneer spirit in U.S. culture from the past to present.
· Describe the importance of oil both at home and abroad in American politics.
· Discuss the status of the American space program and its implications for future politics and economics in America.
· Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
· Number of resources: Minimum of one peer-reviewed resource.
· Length of paper: Five typed, double-spaced pages.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.