In 2006, Sheriff Harold Franklin Cassell and 17 members of his department were arrested on drug and other charges. The accusations involve them stealing cocaine and marijuana, distributing steroids and weapons on the street, and possession of ketamine (often used as a “date-rape ” drug) at a location that sheriff’s deputies used for parties and extramarital trysts. Cassell was the sheriff of a county in Virginia that only had a population of 58,000 residents.
• We hear of corruption in major metropolitan police departments; are you surprised to hear of this level of corruption in a smaller jurisdiction?
• How can we prevent police corruption when illegal drugs provide so many temptations available to even a small town police officer?
Make sure to:
- Write a short essay or paragraph of at least 300 words.
- Use concrete examples/details and avoid generalities.
- Address all questions.
- Use proper grammar and punctuation.
- Must research your topic and remember to cite your source(s). ALL INITIAL POST MUST HAVE AN APA FORMATTED REFERENCE SOURCE
- Do not plagiarize.